AFJ's Second Term Agenda
We are extraordinarily pleased that Barack Obama has been re-elected president of the United States, and we extend to the President our congratulations on his victory.
This is an important moment for our country, Alliance for Justice, and our friends throughout the progressive community, as we unite to accelerate our efforts to foster a fair, just, and free America.
Alliance for Justice is ready and eager to play an active, assertive, and constructive role during the second Obama administration. The president has set ambitious goals for his next four years. And so have we.
Our agenda includes:
- The nomination and confirmation of a judge for every opening in the federal judiciary.
- The selection of nominees for the federal bench who reflect the full diversity of the legal profession, including those who have held positions in public service, the criminal defense bar, and public interest law.
- Ensuring that President Obama is given the fullest possible opportunity to leave a legacy of judicial appointments that support our values of fairness and equal justice under law.
- Reforms to the confirmation process in the Senate that will thwart the unprincipled tactics of obstruction that have weakened the ability of the federal courts to deliver justice to the American people.
- Ethics reform for the Supreme Court, to ensure that all justices conduct themselves in a manner consistent with the responsibilities of their office and the expectations of the public.
- An expansion of our campaign to expose the threat the Supreme Court’s radical conservative majority poses to the social, economic, and legal progress of the past 75 years.
- Working to strengthen the architecture of our democracy and foster civic engagement by equipping an energized nonprofit community to advocate assertively for policies that foster social justice.
- And, if the occasion arises, support for the appointment of justices to the Supreme Court who have an unwavering commitment to the rights of everyday Americans and who will serve as effective counterweights to the extreme conservative forces that currently dominate the Court.
Help us achieve our goals:
You can be a part of the work that AFJ is doing to ensure equal justice for all. Keep in touch with us: